Visit me @

http://cookingwithsj.com or http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj and explore more of my recipes!!! :)

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mysore Bonda

I thought of trying it out for so many times before, but every-time felt it to be oily n heavy to have! Yesterday, I wanted to celebrate being a winner of 'Healthy Bites' competition - by making some unhealthy (oily) food ;) Kidding!!! Anyways, I was going to make this as I soaked urad dal before I got to know the results of that food-contest :P

Made around 20-22 bondas, 1/4th of which we finished in pre-dinner munching only :P It's very much similar to 'Menduwada' if I exclude a few things in batter. But believe me, now I have become a big fan of this  super-yummy 'Mysore Bonda' and will make it every now and then!!!



Makes: 20-22

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup Urad Dal (Skinless Black Lentils)
2 tbsp Rice Flour
2 tbsp Chopped Onions
1 tbsp Chopped Coriander
1 tsp Grated Ginger
1/2 tsp Crushed Peppercorns
Salt, to taste
A pinch of Baking Soda
Oil, to deep-fry

METHOD: 

- Soak urad dal in bowl of water for 2-3 hours. Then after, drain excess water.
- Grind it to make a smooth batter (Add 2-3 tsp of water only if required)
- Add all other ingredients except baking soda and mix well. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Just before frying, add baking soda into it and whisk it well for 2-3 mins. 
- Heat oil in deep-frying pan and put big spoonful of batter to make 5-6 bondas at a time. 
- Fry till golden-brown in color and transfer them to absorbent paper to drain excess oil to keep them crisp.
- Serve hot with yogurt chutney or cuppa tea!!! :)


SJ's NOTE:

- Chopped curry leaves (3-4) definitely enriches the flavor of any South-Indian dish, so add if you prefer!
- Optionally, finely chopped green chilles and dessicated coconut can be added as well. 
- Can be served with Sambhaar or Coconut Chutney too!


Linking this dish to Nandoo's Kitchen - Nupur's UK, Rasoi and Me...


1 comment:

Like & Share