PARTICIPANT NAME: Roshny Daniel
RECIPE NAME: Upside Down Apple Cinnamon Cake
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar ( for caramelization)
2.5 medium apples-Peeled ,cored and cut to wedge shape
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
6 Tbsp unsalted butter(room temperature)
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1 cup flour
3 Tbsp cornflour
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 apple peeled ,cored and diced
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a cake pan with butter.
- In a sauce pan melt 4 Tbsp butter .
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook till sugar melt to light golden brown.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg powder.
- In to sugar syrup add apple wedges and cook on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.Stir occasionally to avoid burning of sugar.
- Cook the apples in butter sugar solution till apples release juice.
- Pour this mixture into the greased cake pan and arrange.
For Cake batter
- Mix together the flour,corn flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl beat 6 Tbsp butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla essence.Beat until well blended.
- Mix the dry ingredients alternating with milk in to the creamed mixture until combined.Dont over beat.
- Gently stir in the chopped apple in batter.
- Pour batter in to the cake pan lined with apple and sugar syrup.
- Bake the cake for around 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave the baked cake to cool for 5 minutes and then invert the cake to serving plate.
- Do not allow cake to leave in cake pan to cool as it will let the caramel to stick to base of cake pan.
- Serve warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
Linking this recipe to Shruti’s ‘Sweet Celebration’ Event :)