Visit me @

http://cookingwithsj.com or http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj and explore more of my recipes!!! :)

Monday, July 29, 2013

Matar-Bhatura

Mum told me several times to join her on a trip to 'Gokul-Mathura', but I never got ready for it before. I visited that place for the 1st time a year back... I had a great company of near-dear ones, especially my sister-in-law, who too believes a lot in Shrinathji like me :) And we both are foodies, so apart from the history and tales of Krishna, Mathura definitely had a lot to offer us!!!

Unfortunately, I wasn't in my pinks to have a bite of any street-food variety lined up there in markets... Huh!!! Bad health didn't allow me to enjoy a single dish even :( I couldn't do anything but observing nearly everything they served... Morning Tea, Mathura ke Pede, Chhole-Bhatura, Matar-Kulcha, Aloo Chat, Dahiwada, Dahi Kachori, Samosa and Chutney... and much more!!!

Next time, I'm gonna leave my calorie-chart behind and get my feet moving in those streets and lanes for the authentic flavors of these dishes... 

Just a few days back, I thought of making something that I couldn't have there :P Tried out "Matar-Bhatura" (I combined Matar-Kulcha n Chhole-Bhatura) for dinner and.... I could smell the same aroma in my kitchen!!! "Mum, count me in for the next trip" :P


Makes: 2-3 servings

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup Dried White Peas
1 Boiled Potato
1 Chopped Onion (small)
1 Chopped Tomato (small)
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Jaljeera Powder 
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp Cooking Oil

For garnishing--

Chopped Coriander Leaves
Finely Chopped Onions
Finely Chopped Tomatoes
Aloo Bhujiya (optional)

STEPS TO FOLLOW:

- Soak white peas overnight in a bowl of water and pressure-cook them in morning with salt and a pinch of turmeric in water.
- Drain excess water leaving a little inside to make a medium-thick consistency of boiled peas. 
- Heat oil in a deep vessel and add cumin seeds. 
- Once it crackles, add chopped onion and tomato into it and cook for a while.
- Add cooked white peas and boiled potato (roughly chopped) into it along with all the spices.
- Mix everything well and cook it covered (with lid) for around 5 mins till peas are mushy in texture.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish it with chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves as per your taste! Serve it hot with Bhatura or Kulcha :) 


SJ's NOTE:

- Recipe for making Bhatura: 

Take wheat flour and maida (i used 50%-50%) in a big mixing bowl. Add salt, 1 tbsp Semolina (fine sooji) and 2 tsp oil into it. Knead a soft dough using lukewarm water. Cover with a cling wrap and keep it aside for around 15 mins. Roll out to make puri of around 6-7" in diameter and deep-fry in oil (one at a time) till they get light brown in color. Serve these puffed puris! 

- I use semolina to give a crisp texture to bhatura while frying! 

9 comments:

  1. The Puris and Matra look pretty Shruti :) For Bhaturas, though, you need to ferment the dough with either yeast for a quick method or yoghurt for the traditional overnight way of getting the "khameer" going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Didi! I should have done it the way you said... :( I will go with yogurt method next time, pakka :)

      Delete
  2. wow..perfect combination with a change using peas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divya, this time I'll wait for your variation :)

      Delete
  3. @SJ:Yummy looks. I have prepared it during last Ramadan as an Iftaar recipe. But I haven't used the oil and cumin seeds. Just mixed it in the cooker itself.. Will try your variation this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh... that's a good idea to make it totally oil-free! You try my way, I'll do it your way, Jameela :)

      Delete

Like & Share