Before marriage, I always had at least one Maharastrian family in neighborhood & so I got to have their special dishes every now n then (Thanks to "Vaatiki-Vyahvar" in India, which is one of the traditions I miss here)... :P Each delicacies I enjoyed, had distinct lip-smacking flavors, quite different from rest of all Indian Food :) I bugged my very closest Aunty several times for her recipes and then tried cooking them by my own several times, but didn't sound that flavorful at all...
Finally I asked her the secret of all her dishes, specially beans & pulses!!! And she handed me over a recipe of her secret itself - "Goda Masala"!!! I definitely would love to share it here as soon I'm going to post few 'Core-Maharastrian' dishes... :)
5 cardamom (seeds)
1 small stick cinnamon
2 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp dessicated coconut
10 black pepper corns
1 tsp oil
- Heat oil in pan and saute cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
- Turn off the flame once cloves gets bigger in size
- Take coconut, sesame seeds and black pepper corns in another pan and dry-roast it on low-flame till coconut changes color to light brown.
- Transfer it to a bowl and let it cool down to room temp.
- Grind both the mixture together to make a coarse powder.
- Store in air tight container.