Visit me @

http://cookingwithsj.com or http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj and explore more of my recipes!!! :)

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bharwan Baigan

Personally, brinjals are never-ever included in my list of vegetables!!! But got 4-5 from market to try making 'Bharwan Baigan' on demand of my foodie hubby... I never had it before or I never wanted to have it ever :P But yes, I was not sure at all how is it going to be like.... Even I'm not sure if that was the right way of making it... Will talk to mum n ask her today ;)

I stuffed some baby potatoes along with brinjals so that I can feed atleast a part of this gravy to my hungry tummy :P When this bowl was empty, I realized I should have added a few more potatoes into it ;) Here is my recipe of this dish... And post me if you make it differently :) 



INGREDIENTS:

4-5 Baby Brinjals 
4-5 Baby Potatoes
2 tbsp Chopped Onion
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 tsp Minced Garlic
2 tbsp Besan
2 tbsp Peanuts (roasted n skinless)
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Sesame Seeds
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Amchur
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Mustard + Cumin Seeds
1/8 tsp Hing
2 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste

STEPS TO FOLLOW:

- Peel the potatoes and parboil them. (In pressure-cooker for 2 whistles or microwave for 4 mins)
- Wash brinjals well and pat dry them.
- Make vertical slits into four halves as shown in image below. (make sure you don't cut them)



- Take besan in a pan. Dry roast it for a 3-4 mins or till it starts changing color.
- Transfer it to another bowl and cool it down to room temp. 
- Take peanuts, fennel seeds and sesame seeds in a mixer jar and grind it coarsely. Add it into bowl along with spices and mix well.
- Stuff this mixture into brinjals and potato slits. 


- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds into it. Once it stops spluttering, add cumin seeds and hing.
- When it starts cracking, add chopped onions and minced garlic into it. Saute it for a while and add tomato puree. Cook it for one more minute.
- Add stuffed brinjals and potatoes into it. Add remaining mixture to form gravy and 1/2 cup water. Mix everything gently.
- Cover it with a dish filled with water and cook it for around 15-20 mins. Cook a few mins more if required.
- Serve it hot with Masala Puri or Roti :) 

SJ's NOTE:

- Lemon juice can be used to replace Amchur powder.
- Desiccated coconut is a great addition for lifting up the flavors!


5 comments:

  1. Your innovation and take on this recipe is very interesting and goes to prove that versatility is just limited by our imaginations. Bravo Shruti, love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the creativity.Some thing for everyone in the home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love bharwan baingan Shruti.. Your recipe sounds authentic dear :-)

    ReplyDelete

Like & Share