If I start counting varieties of 'Indian Breads', it will definitely go beyond my imagination!!! Being an integral part of Indian cuisine, these breads are prepared with different ingredients n different techniques in different regions of the country... Roti, Thepla, Paratha, Kulcha, Naan and many more categories... and each one of these with a number of sub-categories too!!!
Among all of them, we love flat-breads flavored using minced garlic... Ignoring my blabbering here, here you go with the easy-to-follow recipe of 'Garlic Roti' cooked on gas itself :)
1 cup Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Maida
3 tsp Garlic paste
1 tbsp Yogurt
1 tbsp Butter
2 tsp Oil
Salt, to taste
Lukewarm water, as required
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Mix wheat flour, maida, salt, oil, 2 tsp garlic paste and yogurt in a big bowl. Knead a soft dough using lukewarm water.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for half hour.
- In a tadka pan, take butter and 1 tsp garlic paste. Heat (or microwave) till butter melts. Keep it aside.
- Knead the dough for a while one more time and divide into 6-8 equal balls.
- Roll into thick chapatis and roast them on nonstick pan till you find brown spots on both the sides (quite like you do with normal roti).
- Apply garlic butter generously over it.
- Serve hot with any gravy of your choice!!! :)
- You can alter the proportion of wheat flour and maida as per your choice.
- Dried herbs can be added before kneading the dough to make them more aromatic!
- I cooked it on gas! Alternatively, tandoor can be used too :)
Click on the image to check out previously posted 'Indian Breads':