I'm not much a fan of Tacos... and specially a big NO-NO for hard shells! Still for a change in tiffin-box or on-the-go biting, it's never a bad option! ;) But again, couldn't digest an idea of buying corn tortillas from a super-market... So, here I come with a good option to make and store it in-house...
"Soft Taco Shells" - A part of "Kids Favorites" for all time!!! :)
1/2 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup Wheat Flour
2 tsp Oil
Salt, to taste
Lukewarm water, as required
- Take cornmeal and wheat flour in a big bowl. Add salt and mix it well.
- Add 1 tsp oil and combine all together to form crumbles.
- Knead a soft dough by adding lukewarm water gradually.
- At last, pour another tsp of oil over dough and knead to form a soft surface.
- Let it rest for around 10 mins.
- Roll out a medium-thick chapatis of 6-inches in diameter.
- Roast it on flat-griddle and make sure it's 85-90% cooked on both sides.
- Cool it down to room temp and store it in air-tight container.
- Cover with a damp cloth while making it to keep them soft.
- Fill in your favorite stuffing / salad, half-fold it and heat in oven or flat-pan! Ummm yummy it sounds... :)
- This version (if roasted 100% on both the sides) is called "Makke di Roti"!!!